Market Data / Market note
CoreWeave Falls as AI Debt Fears Threaten the Broader Market
Will AI debt fears stay contained, or drag the broader market lower?
Stock futures are lower, especially in technology, as fears about AI debt return and oil climbs above $100 a barrel. The bigger concern is that weakness in AI spending could spread from corporate profits to stocks and consumer spending. I’m watching whether the S&P 500 holds its rising support line, while CoreWeave approaches a potential bounce area at $53 to $51.
In One Minute
The market is dealing with renewed concern about heavily indebted AI companies alongside higher oil prices. CoreWeave is trading below $59, and a sharp decline into $53 to $51 this week could create a conditional bounce opportunity. For the S&P 500, losing nearby trend line support would open the door to 7,450, while 8,000 remains important resistance. Bitcoin is also repeatedly testing its floor, with a break below $81,000 putting $75,000 in focus.
The Context
The economic concern starts with how dependent growth has become on AI capital spending and investment wealth. About 80% of Americans feel recession conditions or are struggling, while the 20% with substantial investments are doing much better. If AI spending weakens and stocks roll over, that wealthier group could pull back on spending too. That is the connection that could turn weakness in one powerful investment theme into a broader recession.
The dollar is slightly weaker, and the 10-year yield is modestly lower on the daily chart. Intraday, yields are moving alongside oil, but the daily decline reflects concern about the AI trade and economic growth. Those forces can pull in different directions: energy raises inflation concerns, while recession fears tend to push interest rates lower.
Key Developments
The S&P 500 Index (SPX) rose early yesterday and then faded, finishing up over 0.5%. On the daily chart, the bounce from Friday’s low was about 0.4%, close to 0.5%. Futures weakened overnight, then recovered some ground as oil pulled back, although they remained negative. The immediate question is whether the rising support line beneath recent lows continues to hold.
A break below that line would open the door to 7,450. That lower support comes from a trend line beginning at the 2021 bull market high, connecting through a later turning point and repeatedly influencing price. It first acted as resistance, then supported several pullbacks after the index moved above it. Those repeated reactions make it a significant downside reference.
Above the market, I’m watching 8,000 and a brief move above 8,000 for substantial resistance. The upper trend line reaches back to 2023 and arguably to the 2022 bear market low if extended. Price has respected it repeatedly, including several times in 2026, which is why I’m treating that area as a potential barrier to further gains.
Oil climbed from below $100 a barrel to above $100 overnight, helping push stock futures lower. It then filled a gap on the daily chart and pulled back, while remaining up about 1.3%, or $1.30 a barrel. That retreat gave futures some relief, but oil was still positive.
The pressure comes from continued escalation in the Middle East, including United States strikes on Iran, the blocked strait, and continued fighting involving the Houthis and Saudi Arabia. Iran is also preparing for further escalation from the United States. My concern is that without a deal before the midterms, the president has less electoral pressure against escalating afterward, with no elections for another two years. That possibility is helping keep oil elevated as the elections approach.
Gold is repeatedly testing its rising support line, and the closes are getting weaker. It closed on the line, then below it, then farther below it, even though it had been recovering after those tests. That pattern leaves gold facing a possible confirmed breakdown today. If it confirms, $3,950 is the first target, followed by $3,500 if $3,950 fails.
Silver has already broken support, but its sideways action over the past few days has been somewhat encouraging. An AI slowdown could increase recession fears, which would generally be negative for silver, so its recent resilience stands out. Still, the breakdown remains in place, and $50 remains the likely downside destination.
The level silver needs to reclaim is $60. Staying below it keeps the technical concern intact and leaves the market vulnerable to further losses. A sustained recovery above $60 would reclaim the broken trend line and create a better case for prices to move higher.
Natural gas has fallen for five consecutive sessions, but the broader picture is still a tight range dating back to February. Prices were lower on October 2, then rallied, and are now coming back down again. The daily chart shows repeated failures around descending resistance, with rising support underneath. I’m watching that lower support line to see whether the range holds after another rejected breakout attempt.
CoreWeave (CRWV) is trading below $59, bearing the brunt of renewed concern about AI financing. The problem is concentrated in companies carrying heavy debt without established profitability, rather than every company connected to AI. These businesses have taken on billions, and across the broader spending cycle, hundreds of billions, in obligations. If more data centers squeeze margins, the question becomes where the profits will come from to repay those loans.
An unnamed company with a similar business model listed in South Korea overnight, with an offering that was 400% oversubscribed, meaning four buyers wanted shares for every share available. Despite that demand, the stock opened and collapsed 32%. That reversal has me on alert because enthusiasm before trading did not translate into support once shares became available.
For CoreWeave, I’m interested in $53 down to $51, where three technical factors come together. A descending trend line reaches about $53, a gap fills at $51, and the 886 Fibonacci retracement from the low to the all-time high aligns with $51. Fibonacci retracements measure how much of an earlier advance a stock has given back. That overlap is what makes the area worth watching for a bounce.
The plan is to start with small purchases around $53 and potentially add toward $51, only if a sharp, direct decline reaches the zone this week. If the stock moves sideways for a long time, or rebounds first and then breaks down, the setup changes and could break lower. With the three factors aligned under the right conditions, I put the potential success rate above 70%, possibly above 75%. That is a bounce setup, not a conclusion that the debt problem has disappeared.
RTX Corporation (RTX) delivered strong earnings and is trading around $196 before the opening bell, roughly flat to positive. Demand for military equipment makes sense against reports of depleted missile inventories and other defense supplies. The stock has already had a substantial advance, a meaningful pullback, and a renewed move higher.
The daily trend line near $182 is my reference for a potential breakdown. A daily close below it, followed by confirmation, would weaken the structure. I do not have an immediate trade at the current price because the earnings reaction lacks the major volatility I’m looking for.
GE Aerospace (GE) initially popped after earnings and then sold off, moving from a previous close around $311 to around $299, down about 3%. Its daily chart had already broken below an ascending channel, rebounded to the former support boundary, and been rejected. That matters because the old buying area had become resistance before earnings arrived. I would become more interested in a potential day trade around $285, where a small gap fill and an earlier low overlap.
General Motors Company (GM) is falling despite strong earnings, an earnings beat, and a $20 billion buyback. The issue is that guidance stayed within the existing range instead of moving higher, while shares were already near their 52-week and longer-term range highs. Expectations are high enough that simply delivering good results may not satisfy investors.
GM is below the rising trend line visible on its daily and intraday charts. A daily close beneath it, followed by confirmation tomorrow, would establish a breakdown. For a day trade, $76.50 offers a smaller reference, but I’m more interested in a brief move below $75, around three earlier lows.
3M Company (MMM) initially rose after earnings and then returned roughly to unchanged. That leaves no compelling trade for me at the current price. Without significant volatility, there is little evidence of the extreme fear or enthusiasm this approach looks to use.
Netflix (NFLX) reports after the closing bell and could produce a useful trading move. I no longer view it as a major driver of the broader market. I’m waiting for the results and price reaction before establishing a chart setup.
SpaceX also reports after the closing bell, and its discussion could have a broader market impact. The focus is its connection to AI, Grok, and the related businesses incorporated around it. I’m watching what it says, with chart analysis to follow after the results arrive.
Bitcoin (BTC) is still holding support, but I do not like how often it is testing the same floor. Repeatedly pressing against support is like hammering on a floor: it can hold several times and still weaken under continued pressure. The breakdown has not happened yet, so I’m watching whether that defense survives another day of testing.
A break below $81,000 would likely bring $75,000 into play next. The immediate issue is whether Bitcoin keeps hammering on support over the next day or so. The floor is holding for now, but continued pressure makes this an important test.
Why It Matters
The AI concern is about whether spending can generate enough profit to justify the debt behind it. More data centers could mean more competition and lower margins, making repayment harder for companies that are not yet profitable. If that spending cycle weakens, the effect could reach stocks, household wealth, and consumer spending.
The earnings reactions also show why good business results do not automatically mean higher share prices. GM beat earnings and announced a large buyback, but unchanged guidance still disappointed a market with high expectations. GE’s failed recovery to former support showed technical weakness before its report.
Fear can create opportunity, but only when the price and setup line up. A potential 75% success rate is very different from a 50% proposition or blackjack odds slightly worse than 50%, which explains the appeal of waiting for several technical factors to overlap. Emotional selling can create those moments, while computerized institutional strategies do not face the same emotional pressure. My job is to stay focused on the level rather than react to the panic.
Key Details
| Asset | Current Area | Support | Resistance or Target | What Matters |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| S&P 500 (SPX) | Futures lower | Rising trend line; 7,450 below | 8,000 and a brief move above | Losing nearby support opens the path to 7,450 |
| Dollar | Slightly weaker | Modest weakness | ||
| 10-year yield | Slightly lower daily | Tracks oil intraday; AI growth concerns weigh on the daily move | ||
| Oil | Above $100 overnight; up 1.3%, or $1.30, after retreat | Daily gap filled | Middle East escalation keeps pressure on prices | |
| Gold | Repeated closes below rising support | $3,950, then $3,500 | Watch for confirmed breakdown | |
| Silver | Sideways after breakdown | $60 recovery threshold; $50 downside | Must reclaim the broken trend line | |
| Natural gas | Five consecutive declining sessions | Rising trend line | Descending trend line | Still inside the range dating back to February |
| CoreWeave (CRWV) | Below $59 | $53 to $51 | $51 gap fill and 886 Fibonacci retracement; direct decline this week required | |
| RTX (RTX) | Around $196 before opening | Trend line near $182 | Close below support plus confirmation signals breakdown; no immediate trade | |
| GE Aerospace (GE) | Around $299 versus $311 | $285 gap fill and earlier low | Former channel support now resistance | Potential day trade only if price reaches the area |
| General Motors (GM) | Below rising trend line | $76.50; brief move below $75 | Daily close below trend line plus confirmation tomorrow | |
| 3M (MMM) | Roughly unchanged | Initial earnings rise faded; insufficient volatility | ||
| Netflix (NFLX) | Earnings after the closing bell; potential trading move | |||
| SpaceX | Report after the closing bell; AI discussion could influence sentiment | |||
| Bitcoin (BTC) | Repeated support tests | $81,000 | $75,000 below support | Floor holds for now, but continued testing raises concern |
Market Outlook: Opportunities and Risks
The clearest conditional opportunity is CoreWeave reaching $53 to $51 in a direct decline this week. GE near $285 and GM briefly below $75 also offer specific areas of interest for day trades. Silver could improve its technical position by reclaiming $60, while the S&P 500 would face substantial resistance around 8,000 if it continues higher.
The risks remain tied to support failures and the financing behind AI spending. Losing the S&P 500’s nearby trend line could lead toward 7,450, while a confirmed gold breakdown points first to $3,950 and then potentially $3,500. Silver remains vulnerable below $60, and Bitcoin losing $81,000 would likely expose $75,000. CoreWeave’s potential bounce setup also loses its original conditions if price stalls for an extended period or rebounds before declining again.
What to Watch Next
After the closing bell, I’m watching Netflix and SpaceX for their results and market reactions. On the charts, GM needs a daily close below its trend line and confirmation tomorrow, while RTX’s breakdown reference remains near $182. Gold’s possible confirmation, silver’s relationship to $60, and natural gas approaching rising support are the other immediate technical tests.
Bottom Line
AI debt concerns and higher oil prices are putting pressure on stocks through different channels, while weaker growth expectations are weighing on the 10-year yield. The S&P 500’s nearby support and CoreWeave’s conditional $53 to $51 setup are central to the next move. Bitcoin’s repeated $81,000 tests also deserve close attention. I’m waiting for the levels and conditions to line up before acting.